More than ever, the world needs your aliveness. Spend 6 weeks to get the support needed to collaborate with energy, skill, and effectiveness.
About this Event
We want to know that our collective efforts to bring about needed changes and work toward Just Transition will be fruitful. When we pour ourselves into the things we care about, we want to know it matters. Especially in times such as these, how exhausting to see our hard work melt away as conflict slows down, stalls out, or, worse yet, dissolves our collaborations.
The legacies of a domination paradigm (capitalism, patriarchy, white supremacy, to name a few) have left us without the skills we need to lean in to interdependence. This makes it incredibly hard to collaborate effectively. It makes it harder still to find generativity in conflict.
But it doesn’t have to be this way! Nonviolent or “Compassionate” Communication offers us a toolkit to relearn our innate capacity for interdependence. As we learn to deepen our own embodied self-connection and build our capacity to reach out for support, we can resource ourselves to show up more fully to our work in the world. And as we begin to unpack the way that domination culture has shaped our very language, we can learn new/old ways of communicating that bring us more deeply into alignment with our values, our purpose, and into connection with one another.
During this 6-week, online course, we will explore practical strategies for undoing domination in ourselves, our communication, our relationships, and our collaborations. Each two hour session will include interactive content and practices to engage with real-time examples from your life. Over the course of the workshops and invitations to practice in between sessions, this series will support you to:
- Identify patterns of domination culture and develop a needs-based orientation that can enable you to undo domination
- Explore NVC as an embodied mindfulness practice and grow your capacity to tune into body sensations as valuable feedback from your nervous system pointing you towards what matters to you
- Grow your awareness of and vocabulary for resonant language including “feelings” and “needs”, and your understanding of the brain science behind why this kind of language works
- Develop an empathic listening practice with a buddy between sessions as a foundational tool for resourcing yourself to show up better in conflict and collaboration
- Oct. 5, 2020 – 7:00pm
- Oct. 19, 2020* – 7:00pm
- Oct. 26, 2020 – 7:00pm
- Nov. 2, 2020 – 7:00pm
- Nov. 9, 2020 – 7:00pm
- Nov. 16, 2020 – 7:00pm
* Please note that there will not be a workshop held on Oct. 12 to honor Indigenous Peoples’ Day.
This offering will be facilitated by Nicole Bauman with the support GWI Workers.
Nicole Bauman is a white, middle class, queer, genderqueer, farmer, healer, facilitator, movement builder and parent, rooted in community and organizing in the Rust Belt city of Elkhart, IN (occupied Potawatomi territory). Nonviolent Communication has been an empowering tool for Nicole’s own personal healing and transformation, and has also increased her capacity to show up more skillfully to communication, conflict and collaboration interpersonally and within the movement. Nicole’s embodiment and teaching of this work is deeply shaped and informed by her own parenting journey, as well as years of work as a birth doula and yoga teacher, and a decade of living in an intentional community.